If you still don’t have a Polar product, then perhaps you have not come across the Polar FT40. It is a simple but perfect fitness tool that comes with a corded Polar USA Unisex FT4 Green/Green Watchheart rate monitor and a comfortable textile transmitter.
FT40 provides guidance for athletes in regard to their heart rate and fitness level. Courtesy of the energy pointer feature, it helps an athlete choose the right training intensity. In a rundown of its functions, the device measures heart rate, counts the number of expended calories, helps athlete defines their target zones and finally displays all the training statistics.
Basic Features of Polar FT40HRM
- Heart Rate Monitor: It measures the pulse and record the average and maximum rate during the workout exercise.
- It has a visual and audible alarm that alerts an athlete when his/her heart rate is below or beyond the set Heart Rate zones. The user manually inserts the upper limit target zone in beats per minute.
- Polar EnergyPointer tells the overall impact of your training, which can either be fat burning or improved fitness.
- It has a Polar Fitness Test that measures your aerobic fitness when you rest and it does this in just five minutes.
- Displays the percentage of fats and calories burned with during a workout.
- Has a coded heart rate transmitter to avoid cross-talk
- It evaluates your maximal oxygen uptake (VO2max) thanks to Polar OwnIndex.
- Polar Personal Trainer website offers training load.
- Has a graphical target zone indicator
- HeartTouch feature offers button-free navigation
- You can accumulate certain intensity thanks to the ZoneLock feature.
- Polar FlowLink makes it compatible with both Windows and Mac PC’s.
I’m a woman and perhaps you are surprised why I’m reviewing men’s product. I’m used to the women’s FT40 version but I’ve also familiarized myself with the men’s version too. They are more or less the same with the only two minor difference being wider and longer wrist band in men, and again the men’s version has a slightly bigger face to match the wide wrist bands. The face disparity is barely noticeable, unless you hold both watches side by side.
Why People Choose Men’s FT40 Version
- The heart rate monitor is easy to set up. It allows you to input and save personal data, such as date of birth, weight, height, sex, and activeness level.
- Accuracy is very important in analysing training data. This device allows you to enhance the accuracy of your workout readings by carrying out a fitness test. The fitness test creates a baseline which can be used to compare your aerobic fitness level to your peers. If the test is retaken, it saves the results and this enable you to track your progress.
- It monitors both fitness and fat levels. The watch is a genius capable of reading your heart rate and its variability. Prior to every session, the watch sets the Limit Heart Rate value that falls between the fitness and fat-burning zones. This limit will vary depending on your level of activeness during the day. This way, it helps you measure your activity level and allow you to adjust your workout intensity accordingly. You will never over-workout when you have this smart watch at your disposal.
- It keeps records of each workout in a summarized form. The main elements considered in the summaries include average heart rate, maximum heart rate, calories burnt, fat proportion of calories burnt, and time. The time is divided into the duration spent on the two different zones, fat-burning zone and the fitness zone.
- The watch keeps up to 50 training session records with weekly summaries and all these can be viewed at any time. Once you start running out of space, you upload the data to your PC if you don’t want to loose the data. The watch automatically deletes the oldest sessions to give room for the latest session.
According to me, there is probably no any shortcoming of this watch but I only wish it had the capacity to record every heart-beat during my workouts. If it did, I could graph the results and view the different intensity levels of my workout. However, I’m told such a watch would require a large memory, and it is yet to show up in the market. Nevertheless, for heart beats, I still visit my cardiologist.
I used to wash my FT40 women’s watch with soap and water, so after changing the battery I continued with the washing. The buttons begun to malfunction, I then learnt that I didn’t seal it good enough. The watch faded and the display became illegible. I tried to dry the watch, but it was gone for good. I had to replace it. Since then I have chosen to get a qualified watch repairer to change the battery for me. I know many people would prefer to change the batter on their own, but learn from my experience.
I’m a certified Personal Trainer, a Spin Cycling Instructor and a 4 times various endurance events Guinness World Record Holder. I’ve used a lot of heart rate monitors, however, highly recommend the FT40. It is important to know your total calories burned during training, but it is even better to know what percentage the calories are from fats. The watch provides this totals plus the time spent on Fat Burning Zone and Fitness Zone, for instance “Fat Burning Zone ” (50-65% of MHR) and “Fitness Zone” (65-80% of MHR). In addition, it offers the V02 testing.
The watch goes for a reasonable price and it is user friendly. It does not include a stop watch, but you can always buy that separately. It is better than its peer but highly priced FT60.
- Measures average and maximum heart rate of training
- HR-based target zones with visual and audible alarm
- Manual target zone beats per minute (upper limit)
- Polar EnergyPointer tells if the main effect of your training is fat burning or fitness improvement
- Polar Fitness Test measures your aerobic fitness at rest in just five minutes
- Displays calories burned with fat percentage
- Comes with comfortable textile transmitter and coded heart rate transmission to avoid cross-talk
- Polar OwnIndex, evaluates your maximal oxygen uptake (VO2max)
- Training load available via Polar Personal Trainer website
- Graphical target zone indicator
- HeartTouch button-free operation of wrist unit
- ZoneLock feature helps you to accumulate certain intensity
- Compatible with Mac (Intel-based) via Polar FlowLink
- Compatible with PC via Polar FlowLink
- Compatible with Polar Personal Trainer website via Polar FlowLink
- Weight: 61 grams
- Battery Life: 1 year
- Battery: CR2025
- Water resistance: 30 meters